Wednesday, May 23, 2012

{interview étiquette}

What I'm wearing:
Magenta blouse & skirt from Target,
 blazer by Silence + Noise from Urban Outfitters,
heels by DKNY, watch by Michael Kors

Once you graduate, people always want to pour out their wisdom about job searching & for young professionals, they want to help you dress for the job. Today I had an interview for a Spanish position at a high school and this outfit was my final product, the sum of all of the advice I received. For me, I love putting my personality into my clothes, so dressing for the job is always tough for me. I think this outfit was a perfect balance between me & hyper-perfessional me.

Here are some of the tips I received from some pretty wise people:
1. Interviewers don't want to remember your clothes; They want to remember you.
2. Don't wear big earrings or bangle bracelet; They are distracting.
3. Look more formal/ conservative than you ever will at work; this is your A game, people!
4. Make sure your skirt is long enough; do the bend, squat, sit, & cross tests to double check :)
5. Heels are good... if you can walk in them (which I can!).
6. Insure that your necklace is appropriate.
7. Don't touch your hair during the interview (hence why I cut off 14 inches 5 months ago).
8. Pops of color are good, but don't go crazy!
9. Professional blazers always look classy.
10. And finally, smile! I have that one down!!

Hope this helps all of you fellow job-seekers.
-Abbey

3 comments:

  1. Navy blue and black you should probably shy away from

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. For interviews specially or in general?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive heard that before, but i disagree. i think this outfit looks fantastic, definitely professional but theres still Abbey in it!

    ReplyDelete